Monday, April 13, 2009

Adventure #2: The David Letterman Show!

Well, I have another thing checked off my list! Adventure #2 took my husband and I to the Late Show with David Letterman! I was VERY excited. I had never been to the taping of a television show!

So I think a big part of doing 30 new things in my 30th year is ensuring that I stay young at heart (not that 30 isn't young!). While going to the Letterman show was exciting and I felt pretty hip as we were getting tickets for Letterman, in the end, it actually didn't make me feel young at all. In fact, I think it made me realize how old I actually am! Let me explain.

I am a high school teacher. The day before spring break, I was asking my grade 10 students what they were doing for the break. Although no one asked me what I was doing, I had to announce my plans for the holdiays. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Guess what I'm doing for the holidays?! I have FREE TICKETS to the Late Show with David Letterman! Can you believe it!

No response. My students sat like lumps.

Me: Can you believe it? Isn't that exciting?

No response. Finally, one student said something.

Student 1: What's David Letterman?

Me: What's David Letterman?! Oh my God! You don't know what David Letterman is?! Can someone please tell Charlie what David Letterman is?

Silence.

Me: None of you know who David Letterman is?

Silence. So I explain. Then they ask what sort of guests Letterman has.

Me: Oh! They have all sort of super famous celebrities! Like, Julia Roberts and Bono were both on this week! Isn't that cool!

Student 2: Who's Julia Roberts?

Student 3: What's a Bono?

I couldn't believe it! Needless to say, I was starting to feel a bit old at this point. But I dismissed their comments and figured that I must have the lamest 15 year olds in the world in my class if they didn't know who Julia Roberts and Bono are.

So . . . today, we were standing in line for our Letterman tickets, and I overheard someone say that Zac Efron was the guest on today's show. I turned to my husband and asked, "Who is Zac Efron?" He didn't know either, so we proceeded to text several friends and family members. No one seemed to know. I know . . . for those of you know that Zac Efron in "High School Musical" and the new movie "17 Again," you must think that my husband and I are really the lame ones!

So the Late Show was pretty cool and now I can say that I've been the taping of a TV show (although I think tickets to Ellen or Oprah would have faaaaar surpassed the Letterman experience!) In the end the whole experience didn't leave me feeling young and hip so much as lame and out-of-touch. Luckily, I'm OK with that.

3 comments:

Edmonton Art said...

Hey Ashley, I just asked Quinlyn (who happens to be 15) if she knew who David Letterman, Julia Roberts and Bono were and she knew who all of them are. I think you just might have a class of lame 15 year olds afterall. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that!

I went to a taping of ELLEN when we were on our Disneyland trip a couple years ago. It was cool but I was unlucky enough to see the same sudo-celebrities from Dancing With The Stars perform on the Disney stage the day before they appeared on Ellen. What a drag!

Hope you have lots of fun doing as much as you can this year.

Bryan Sarauer said...

Definintely a class of lame 15 year olds. That, and Quinlyn's brilliant of course.

Hey, check out those ads that show up on your site - they look pretty coool to me. Too bad I can't afford to take that type of vacation.

Cheers,
Bryan

p.s. For a really cool and far more interesting blog, click through to my ad-free blog at pawistik.blogspot.com.

Thirty-4-Thirty said...

Maybe I can't afford to take the trips advertised on the site, but I can dream, can't I. Although I did see a Tourism Saskatchewan add on here the other day. That might be a bit more do-able.

I will check out your ad-free site, but I want to let you know that I hit 2 figure today!